Welcome Lovelies!

I've faced many adversities in my life, and through it all I've been blessed with the strength and grace to endure.
I have been diagnosed with depression and also have lived my life with COD (Compulsive Overeating Disorder).
My faith in God coupled with supportive and loving family and friends have impacted my life greatly.
I seek to help others who may be struggling as well by sharing my story and my everyday life.


Saturday, February 11, 2012

A piece of what I've been missing

Tonight was undeniably one of the best nights I've had in a very long time.

I spent my evening with a group of very wonderful women. And until tonight, I had no idea how much I had missed having a bunch of women that are supportive and caring and that I can rely on and spend time with.

I never realized until tonight how much I've always felt I've had to compete with other women. And in retrospect, I think many women feel the same way. I think it has gotten especially difficult for me lately because I'm single, and the majority of my peers are married. This means if I'm out somewhere, I'm often comparing myself to women who are much younger than me. I didn't realize until tonight how much that was hurting me. And I have a wonderful group of women to thank for showing me that it doesn't have to be that way.

We had a little gathering of our WW Women of The Journey tonight. It was just us, the women. No guys around, and no kids. We all brought a healthy dish to share. We each had the number of WW points readily available. Most of the food was 1-2 points per serving. What was great about this is we could really enjoy this food without the guilt and worry of 'oh no! What did I just do!?!'.

And then we sat around the table, and like kids we set about working on our weight loss 'tool boxes'. We each brought a shoe box and stuff to decorate them with. We cut and pasted and glued and taped, all the while chatting and laughing and showing each other our glitter and butterfly stickers. Into our tool boxes, we will place pieces of paper that have healthy activities as an alternative to eating on them. The idea is if we get the urge to eat, we draw a paper from the toolbox and complete the activity. In and of itself, this is a wonderful idea. But what made it even more real, is we each wrote our name and number on a piece of paper for the rest of the group to put in their box. And if we draw that paper out, we can call or text that person for support.



That word, 'support', that single word is making me tear up. I have been through many weight loss journeys in the past 4 years. And each time, I've gone at it in my usual headstrong manner. I felt it was something I needed to do for myself and by myself. I had cheerleaders the whole time, and people who offered encouragement. But the real support comes from those who are experiencing the same struggles. As I sat at that table, listening to the things that would pop up from time to time, about how we address our feelings by eating, or what our weakness is, I really for the first time felt understood. Of course you can do this by going to meetings. But it's a whole other concept when it's people you know and trust. For the first time I'm not afraid to actually reach out and ask for help. I know that if I draw that piece of paper with Julie, Lindsey, Stacey, Jessica, Christy, or Megan's name and phone number that I WILL reach out to them, just as I know they will reach out to me for support.

I haven't had a support system like this since college. For so long after I left college, I felt as if I was on my own. Living in NYC, I learned that I had to take care of myself because no one else would. But that was wrong. It's just a matter of finding the right people.

I know the memories of tonight are ones that I will treasure. I left that gathering with a warmth in my heart I haven't felt in ages. And in the coming months, when I'm feeling down and blue I will be able to remember tonight and evoke that feeling again, and I know it will help me survive.

How I came to meet these wonderful, beautiful, graceful women is through such a roundabout path. But every day, as more of these people come into my life, I see that there really is a reason for all we experience. Had I not experienced feeling completely and utterly alone, I may not value this new found community as much as I now do. I really thank the Lord for showing me this path and for guiding me to such a wonderful, loving, caring group of women.

No comments:

Post a Comment